Joy during the Shout Out Show
Texas inmates don't really get to make phone calls. When I say 'don't really' I mean that apart from legal calls they need to make they only get one five minute phone call per 3 months. They have to put in an application for that, so that means that the time in between calls can be even longer than three months.
Death row inmates never go anywhere without an escort team, while they are handcuffed behind their back. This means that they get to make that call while standing (hands cuffed behind their back) and the phone on loudspeaker so everybody can listen in. If the person they are trying to reach is not home; bad luck, try again in three months. They are not allowed to leave messages on answering machines. No wonder a lot of guys in there don't bother. Five minutes is rarely enough to say what you want to say anyway.
Now there is this local radio station and Jim, the guy who runs this is friends with a couple of ladies who have a prison ministry. The guys in Polunsky can receive this radio station. A couple of years ago Jim started to pass on messages concering this prison ministry over the radio, and before he knew it he started to receive requests from people both on the in- and outside to pass on news over the radio. Soon the idea of the Shout Out show was born.
These days every Sunday afternoon and Monday evening friends and family members can phone in to the radio station, and that call is broadcast live so their loved one inside can hear them. You can also send in emails which will than be read out. The guys inside also send in letters with shout outs which are read out, and can be heard either via the local radio or via the internet.
It is a great way to pass on messages fast, and wonderful for the guys to be able to hear the voices of their loved ones.
I think it is a wonderful idea and a lot of guys look forward to every chance to be able to get news from home.
Even though the actual radio station is housed in a tiny tiny room, they always like and need company to help read out shout outs. I had to get over being a bit shy the very first time I was there but now I walk in and say hi to those I know and read out shout outs like I've always done it........
It is a wonderful thing to be part of.
Reading shout outs at the Shout Out Show
1 comment:
What a great idea!
I'm glad you get a chance to participate in this.
Post a Comment