Lent is here again and when asked what I am giving up this year I answer: walking.
I know; lame joke.
And that is an other one.
Seriously, this Lent there is nothing I am really giving up. One of the blessings of this injury is that I now have time. A lot of time even, so I spend quite a bit of that just contemplating this special period.
When I was visiting Bobby last December, I told him about my daily advent readings from a booklet called Winters Wisdom by the Ministry of the Arts. He was very interested in those, so I sent him some pages and that inspired some great conversations. He asked me if we could read the Lent readings together as well. So I contacted the Sisters of St Joseph, and asked if they would ship to prisons. Of course they would. Then we had to wait to see if the mailroom would let it in...... I mean, it does come straight from a vendor, it does say religious goods on the package, and it does get inspected thouroughly which I understand, yet I also know things have not been let in for having staples or something........ But last month I heard he did receive Springtime of the Soul, and he had divided the readings and given us tasks to think and write about.
So that is what we are doing, and I must say the exchange so far is an enrichment rather than a fast!
And of course for the rest this Lent I aim for the butterfly to be resurected and fluttering free again by Easter! Like my dear uncle Piet said in an email to me today: sitting at home, is soooooooooo not you!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I think youve enriched Bobbys life unmeasurably. I think he will have a lot to contemplate and off course thats what those books encourage, especially during this time of Lent.
The enrichment totally goes both ways, I love how life brings me all these special people and situations.
The more I read about you, the more you intrigue me...
Deb, because of all my travel most people would say I have an adventurous life. I just joke I am rather boring though, I go to church as much as I can, do volunteer stuff as much as I can, and knit as much as I can...
And if the intriguing means you have questions, feel free to ask. Initially this blog was started to share things with family and friends, but now online friends are joining in too, who know little about me of course.
Than again, you also may choose to let myself just unfold for you ;-)
Post a Comment