Meet Ali, a tourist from Australia who was in Amsterdam for a week.
Some of that week she stayed with me. It was fun to have her company around the house, and I really enjoyed getting to play tourist with her for one afternoon.
We went to the 'Zaanse Schans', a touristy but still pretty authentic area just north of Amsterdam. It is the area my parents were from and I was born close to there too.
We had a lovely time just walking around, and sitting and chatting. Ali is a retired dancer turned deaf interpretor and cannot help but talk with her hands and legs and well, whole body continiously really. This was her explaining an Australian birthing ritual to me.
We also happily just sat and stared at the view for a while.
And there we are, strangers a week ago, and really enjoying each others company now.
3 comments:
Isn't it wonderful how guests inspire you to see your own town with new eyes? Sounds like this is what you had in mind when you got into hosting!
Fabulous! Do you mind my asking how you became acquainted with one another?
Hi Deb, it is my lifes project of working my way through the seven works of mercy. That is why I started corresponding with those in prison, and recently I started giving hospitality to strangers. Ali was just a traveller looking for a bed in Amsterdam...
Post a Comment