Friday, 16 January 2009

I know

Oh I know, I know, I have been quiet again. All is well, had lovely holidays at home, even got to celebrate my birthday here too this year. And... if all goes the way I plan it too (which it never does so don't hold your breath) I will be spending the next holiday and birthday season at home too.
The Pound (in which I get paid) has lost way too much compared to the Euro (in which I pay my bills)to make working abroad for me worthwhile. I would have to work away from home more or less all the time in order to make ends meet. And that I do not want to do. I like being home. I love my family and friends here. Being part of the community and doing all my little volunteer gigs.
When I first realised that I may have to stop working abroad, I mentioned this on a board I visit and I got a reaction I did not expect: 'Hi Moni, it is good to hear things are going well for you'. That had me stumped for an answer. I am realising I cannot afford to work the way I do, and that is a good thing??? But you know what? It did make me remember to look at difficulties as opportunities.
Just after Christmas I did some temp work for my old agency. And I loved it! I had a real good time walking around my own city visiting families from different nationalities and I also like the more medical side of my job here. The pay is not good either of course, but it does feel good to be home and spend time with 'my people' here. So I will be working and living a lot more in Amsterdam again.
Having said all that, I better go finnish packing my suitcase. Leaving for Brussels today, maybe the last of my jobs abroad for a while???

4 comments:

Jaye said...

Hi Moni, after all the travel, it must be interesting, reflective, to rediscover the joys of your home again. The world financial situation is so crazy right now, do you have a sense that the value of the pound will rise again? Can you 'keep your name in' with the agency so you can accept some overseas jobs should that happen? But it sounds like you've found a way to live on the positive side, whatever happens. Maybe that's because ultimately, your job involves celebrating new life?

The good side for us is that we may see you more often in cyberspace?

Playful Grace said...

I am glad you were able to celebrate your birthday (Happy Belated Birthday!). I am sorry that you won't be able to travel abroad as you wanted, although it sounds as though you're on another adventure. Sometimes, things don't go as we'd like, yet in the process, we are able to discover so many other possibilities in the process.

At least that is how I try to see things. It is nice to see that things are working out, despite not being able to travel.

Everydaythings said...

Happy belated birthday from me too!Will you not still be able to work in euro paying countries like germany or denmark? or close by so that you get the best of both worlds? the proximity of wonderful lands is so close in wurope - not like here where you have to win lotto to travel anywhere as its all so far away.

Moni said...

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.
It will indeed be interesting to see how work develops for me but being at home more certainly is not a bad thing at all.
I will stay with the maternity nursing agency, and I have great refferences so that is not a problem. In fact they are sad I won't work for them much for a while but they understand.
And I do think the Pound will recover some, probably not all, but I hope it to be better in about 2 years.
Krissie, I do get paid in Euro's, but my contracts are in Pounds, so due to the exchange rate I get less and less each week I work. In total I have lost 35% of my income. I cannot put my rate up as the I cannot charge more than others doing the same job just because I don't live in the UK.

I could of course move to the UK.... (J/K)