Sunday, 2 November 2008

All Souls / Allerzielen

This year I want to remember these people who passed over.
Dit jaar wil ik deze mensen gedenken die zijn overgegaan.

Mw Engel, een paar jaar lang mijn 'Zonnebloem mevrouw'. Altijd vrolijk en aktief. Een goede vakantie mee meegemaakt naar Groningen. Samen zeehondjes gekeken in Pieterburen. Heel vaak bij haar op de koffie geweest. S'avonds na het eten even bij haar langs om samen op haar balkonnetje een ijsje te eten. Luisterend naar verhalen over haar jeugd in het weeshuis. Een lief mens, die het laatste levensjaar in een verzorgingsflat vlak bij haar kinderen en kleinkinderen kon wonen, zodat ze haar familie bijna dagelijks weer om haar heen had. Heel anders dan toen ze nog in Amsterdam woonde. En daar overleed zij na een lang, druk en vol leven.
Rust nu maar zacht Mw Engel!


Karl Chamberlain. Once Texas started executing people again earlier this year, KC was one of the first to go. I did not really know him of course, you are not allowed to talk to any one else than the one you are visiting. But I sat next to him and his visitor once, and I was struck by this big guys huge smile. He was a friend of Bobby's and I got to know him through stories from Bobby as well as the lady visiting him. His execution touched me more than others, as he was the first man I had come to know as a person, a human being, seen his smile, and than know he had just been killed. It was hard for me to wrap my head around. It still is in a way.
I dreamt about KC a couple of weeks ago. He was running along a beach, and than threw (his finally uncuffed!) hands up in the air and shouted "I'm free!!!".
When I described that dream to Bobby, and especially how KC was running, Bobby told me that that was exactly how KC used to run.
Run freely now KC!

Gregory Wright. An other man I do not really know, other than that I saw him a few times while visiting. Last time only a few weeks ago.
He was killed last Thursday by the state of Texas, despite proof that he did not commit the murder. DNA proof, sworn statements from the man who did, and a polygraph test. They even said that they did not have proof he commited this murder, but still he was in the house when it happened so he had part in it... and Texas was only too eager to carry out their 'tough on crime' regime'.
After the execution his wife took his body home, where yesterday he was burried on the family land.
You are home now Greg!



Allow me my bitternes for a little moment longer: The other suspect in this case has now been taken of death row and is not expected to return. He has cut a deal obviously and Texas seems to rather kill the wrong man, than admit a mistake.

And pray with me that I manage to bend bitternes into a more constructive route.

1 comment:

Everydaythings said...

We do this too - its one of our customs to take flowers and light a candle on the grave of those we have lost.