These were the things that were meant for me that I took back from my visits to Texas. I was surprised by the shampoo, a kind and also funny gesture. I now smell of TDCJ Pineapple. And you know what? It really is not that bad!
The other thing given to me was a pile of farewell letters. Both last letters from men executed by now, as well as letters sent to Bob before he got a stay of execution a few years ago. It is good he no longer has them in his cell. But he also knows that I won't just 'loose' them and I may do something worthwhile with it one day.
Dit zijn de dingen die wel voor mij bestemd waren om mee terug te nemen van de bezoeken aan Texas. De shampoo verastte mij, een aardig en ook grappig gebaar. Ik ruik nu naar Gevangenis Ananas. En zal ik wat zeggen? Het is nog niet eens zó slecht!
Het andere wat ik kreeg was een stapel afscheidsbrieven. Zowel brieven van mannen die geëxecuteerd zijn, als brieven gestuurd aan Bob voordat hij uitstel van executie kreeg een paar jaar geleden. Het is goed dat hij ze niet langer in zijn cel heeft. Tegelijkertijd weet hij dat ik ze niet zomaar zal 'kwijt raken', en er misschien wel iets mee kan doen.
4 comments:
How did you get into writing to prisoners on Death Row? I joined an organisation to write to prisonsers and never heard back from them. What organisation are you a part of Moni?
Oh my, did you see we were reading and commenting on each others blog at more or less the same time??
Anyway, I am part of a Dutch/Belgian organisation called Inside Outside, through whom I got the address of someone with a life sentence. A real life long sentence. Their newsletter and info is in Dutch though...
The other people I write to now I sort of stumbled upon. Like I never meant to start writing Bobby. We initially only got in touch with each other regarding some things concerning his dad not being allowed to visit him anymore all of a sudden and I was trying to see what I could do to help. And here we are 2 years later.
If you want me to put you in touch with someone, or a group or whatever, let me know.
Moni, i noticed that we were commenting at the same time too! I'll have a think about this some more, the only reservation i have is that as a single parent i am unsure whether i would be prepared to give my address to prisoners, and i can't afford to have a PO box. But thanks so much for writing some more about this, i will give it some thought!
Sure, it is quite a commitment. That is something you really should think about.
Safety I do not really find an issue. They are on the other side of the big pond ánd securly locked up.
You have inspired me to write something more about this though, you'll see the post turn up at one stage no doubt.
Post a Comment