Tuesday, 16 December 2008

I felt the earth ~ move ~ under my feet

6.20 this morning we had a rare, blogworthy event here: a real earth quake!
I woke up to a shaking bed, and immediately realised it was not a nightmare nor a happy dream. The whole house was shaking and rattling. Apparantly for 5 full seconds with a strength of 4.8 on the Richter scale. Baby slept through it all like a well trained good baby. But I woke up, and had some time for a coffee before it was time to wake the baby and bring her to Mother for the first feed.
No damage nor injuries. Just some drawers had opened themselves in the kitchen. Wonder what my own little apartment here will look like. Expect no damage there too.

And yes, you read right; Baby needs waking up for her first feed! We just won't talk about the rest of the night.....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Moni - Glad you're okay. I just looked this up; you can post the shaking and report the damage here:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2008araj.php

Anonymous said...

Sorry, prev. comment came out worded wrong (premature send) - the earthquake site is kinda cool, in that info comes up on the internet so quick, I saw it less than an hour after your post. They can measure the number of the magnitude quickly, but what they need to translate that number into what it means to the people living on the ground, is info about where people felt it and what they felt, to make future decisions smarter. (This is another branch of the govt agency where I work, and a lot of my work a few years ago was, still is, about how science is used in public decisionmaking in the US)

Everydaythings said...

I cant beleive it - an earthquake where you are...are they rare there? we've had a few here too, they are pretty scary as you never know how much harder its going to shake around you! lucky no damge! glad to hear you are safe.

Moni said...

Thank you both, yes all is okay, no damage at all!

RoseAnn said...

I'm glad you weathered your first quake okay!